Bharat Chandra Rout
Dr Bharat Chandra Rout’s research interests are varied and interdisciplinary in nature. His research interests include; Inequality, Education and Social Power; Education, Exclusion and Discrimination; Equity, Affirmative Action and Higher Education; Socio-Academic experience of Affirmative Action Students; Education and the Capability Approach; Education Policy Analysis; and, Education, Democracy and Development. Besides, he holds key interest in Political Philosophy and Analysis of Welfare Policies of the State.
Rout, B. , and Ramdas R. 2015. “Determinants of Students dropout in Indian Higher Education”. In Democracy, Governance and Tribes in the Age of Globalized India – Reality & Rhetoric, , Democracy, Governance and Tribes in the Age of Globalized India – Reality & Rhetoric, , New Delhi: Gyan Publishing .
Rout, B. . 2012. “Caste, Oxford India Short Introductions, New Delhi”.
Rout, B. . 2010. “Reservation Policy across Domains in India”. Indian Journal of Human Development 4.
Rout, B. . 2014. “The State of Higher Education in India: Some Reflections from Annual Status of Higher Education”. The College Post.
Rout, B. , and M. Watts. 2014. ““Capabilities of Affirmative Action Students in Higher Education: Evidences from an Indian University””. Journal of Educational Planning and Administration XXIX(4).
Rout, B. . 2012. ““Divergent perspectives and Differing Logics; the case of Affirmative Action in India"”. The Educational Forum 76.
Rout, B. . 2008. ““An Inconvenient Curriculum””. The Educational Forum 72.
Rout, B. . 2008. “Incessant Inflation, Nuclear Deal and Democratic Dilemma”. Outlook. http://www.publishaletter.com/readletter.jsp?plid=1947.
Dr Bharat Chandra Rout is currently working in a project on Education and Exclusion: Research, Actions and Teaching. The project involves a comprehensive review of Ashram Schools in India and critical appraisal of educational provisions in Educationally Backward Districts in India. Initially the project covers Maharashtra for field data collection and subsequently will expand to other parts of the country. Apart from this project, he is also engaged with other projects, training and capacity building programmes and activities within Education Portfolio of NIAS. Besides, Dr Rout is involved in contributing towards the All Indian Report on Education of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes sponsored by Indian Council of Social Science Research.
- The Falling Walls Lab and Conference, 8-9 November 2015, organized by Falling Walls Foundation, Berlin, Germany. Paper; ‘Breaking the Wall of Corruption in India’
- Conference on Child Marriage and Adolescent Pregnancy- Strengthening Joint Action, organized by UNFPA, DFID, UNICEF and UN Women, 12-13 October 2015, New Delhi
- Winter Academy on ‘Inequality, Education and Social Power: Trans- regional Perspectives’ from 16th to 25th November 2014 jointly organized by Max Weber Foundation and Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany. Research paper presented ‘Educational Status of Scheduled Castes in India – Preliminary findings from a national study’.
- Human Development & Capability Association International Conference from 2nd September to 5th September 2014 organized by University of Loannina, Athens, Greece and Bielefeld Centre for Education and Capability Research, Bielefeld. Research paper presented ‘Good Institutions and Bad Students? Understanding Hierarchies of Exclusion in Indian Universities’.
- Co-organized and participated in the International Conference on ‘Status and Role of Social Science Research in Asia – Emerging Challenges and Policy Issues’, jointly organized and collaborated by IDRC, Canada and ICSSR, India, from 13th to 15th March 2014.
- Delivered a lecture on ‘Constitutive and Instrumental Role of Education in Capability Formation’, at NISWASS, Utkal University, Odisha, India on 20th February 2014.
- Participated and presented paper in European Educational Research Association (EERA) Annual International Conference September 9-12, 2013 Emerging Scholars Conference, Istanbul, Turkey. Paper presented ‘Determinants of student dropout in Indian Higher Education’.
- Delivered an invited lecture on ‘Good Institutions and Bad Students? Understanding Hierarchies o Exclusion in Indian Universities’, at School of Education Seminar Series, University of Northampton, London, on 26th April 2013.
- Participated and presented paper in European Educational Research Association (EERA) Annual International Conference September 17-18 Emerging Scholars Conference, 2012 [Main Conference 18-22 September, 2012], Cadiz, Spain. Paper title ‘Divergent Perspectives and Differing Logics: The case for Affirmative Action in India’.
- Participated and presented paper in Human Development and Capability Association’s Annual International Conference, 6- 8th September 2011, at University of Utrecht, The Netherlands. Paper presented ‘Capabilities of Affirmative Action Students in Higher Education: Evidences from two Indian Universities’.
- Participated and presented paper in International Graduate Conference on Colonial Legacies and Post-Colonial Contestation, 16-18 June 2011, Goethe-University, Frankfurt, Germany. Paper presented ‘Post- Colonial Teaching and Learning in Higher Education: Insights from an Indian University’.
- Participated and presented paper in International Conference on “Indian Education: The Positive Turmoil, 7th to 9th February 2011 organized by Educational Technology and Management Academy, New Delhi. Paper presented ‘Affirmative Action in Higher Education: Evidences from two Indian Universities’.
- Participated in Global Conclave of Young Scholars on Indian Education 27th to 29th January 2011 organized by National University of Educational Planning and Administration (NUEPA), New Delhi.
- Equity and Indian Education, National Seminar conducted by Central Institute of Education, University of Delhi. Title of the Paper presented, “Divergent Perspectives and Differing Logics: the case of affirmative action in India”.
- Participated and presented paper in Human Development and Capability Association Annual International Conference 2009 held on 12th to 14th September 2009 in Lima, Peru. Title of the Paper ‘Academic Diversity Re-examined: Caste-based Discrimination in Indian Higher Education and Affirmative Action in The Context of capability Approach’.
- Participated and presented paper in Comparative Education Society of India, Annual Conference 16-17 November 2010, Title of the paper ‘Affirmative Action and Student ‘Enrolment in Jawaharlal Nehru University’.
- Participated and presented paper in a National Seminar on Secondary Education in India from 9th to 10th December 2010 organized by Department of Education, University of Gour Banga, West Bengal. Paper presented ‘Secondary Education in India: Issues, Problems and Way ahead’.
- Paper presented in the Young Scholars’ Human Development Programme on ‘Constitutive and Instrumental Role of Education in Capability Formation’, in IGIDR Young Scholars Programme, June 2008.
- NUEPA Research Colloquium, papers presented entitle, Theories of Justice: Insights from John Rawls and Amartya Sen, 6th April, 2011.
- NUEPA Research Colloquium, paper presented entitle, Equity and Its’ Multiple path in Higher Education, October 2010.