"National Workshop for Science Films" organised by NIAS and Vigyan Prasar, Lecture Hall, 0930hrs
National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS)
IISc Campus, Bangalore
Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India
National Workshop on ‘Science Films’
Date: 28-30 March 2017
Venue: Lecture Hall, NIAS
The objectives of the workshops are capacity building and orientation in the area of Science and Environment Film Making.
The workshop will be aimed with the following points:
- Focus on improving the skills needed to quickly locate scientific content relevant to specific target audiences and to structure the content in comprehensible and engaging ways for film and broadcast media.
- Provide tools, tricks and tips for covering issues related to health, agriculture, environment and technology through films.
- Orient the participants to the best practices and production techniques in the area of science and environment filmmaking.
- Develop capacities to assess the quality, relevance and credibility of the content, to deal with complex ideas and concepts, and to structure the scientific and environmental stories well through film and broadcast media.
Structure and Content of the workshops:
- Participants will be introduced to the grammar and techniques of science filmmaking, conceptualization, production and post-production techniques, selection of relevant themes / issues to communicate through films. Resource persons would be conducting sessions on the following themes:
- Skills required for science/environment/health documentary film making
- Communicating science through films: Challenges and Opportunities.
- Communicating science in a simple manner: Dilution without Distortion
- Research and planning for science films.
- The craft of storytelling for science, technology, health and environmental issues based films.
- Composition - understanding visual language and art of script writing for science films.
- The techniques of science filmmaking including demonstration of camera, sound and post-production techniques.
- Critical & creative thinking in science communication.
- Group activities and hands-on to understand various stages of science filmmaking.
Dr V. V. Binoy, Assistant Professor
National Institute of Advanced Studies
Indian Institute of Science Campus
Bangalore - 560 012
Ph : +917829496778