Dr Raja Ramanna
28 January 1925 - 24 September 2004
Dr Raja Ramanna after he retired as AEC Chairman, became the First Director of this Institute and held that post from August 1987 to July 1997. He was also Chairman, Governing Council, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore. In 1990, Dr Ramanna was made Union minister of State for Defence by Mr VP Singh's Government for a brief period of 11 months. He was later nominated as a Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha) from August 1997 to August 2003. He was a member of the first National Security Advisory Board (NSAB). Dr Ramanna has won many awards: Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Memorial Award, Padma Shri, Padma Bhushan, Padma Vibhushan, Meghnad Saha Medal, Om Prakash Bhasin Award and many others. Several universities conferred on him D.Sc. (Honoris Causa) degree. He has to his credit innumerable scientific papers published in national and international journals. His articles on music, philosophy were published widely. He also authored two books one is his autobiography entitled Years of Pilgrimage: An Autobiography, Penguin Books, 1991 and another book on music titled The Structure of Music in Raga and Western Systems. It was published by the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan in 1993. He died on 24th September 2004 at the age of 79.
Books by Raja Ramanna
- Years of Pilgrimage, Penguin Viking, 1991.
- The Structured of Music in Raga and Western Systems. Bombay: Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, 1993.
Papers by Raja Ramanna
- Indian Holistic Experience and analytic rationality. Paper presented at the Mind and Nature congress, Hannover West Germany, May.
- National Scene in Education, Science and Technology: Some reflections. Bangalore: Indian Institute of Science Alumini Association.
- Security, Deterrence and the Future. Economic and Political Weekly. 27(37). 12 September. pp 1975-78.
- Concept of Discreteness, Continuity and the Cantor Continuum Theory as related to the Life-time and Masses of Elementary Particles. Current Science. 65(6). pp 472-477.
- Technology Transfer and Non-Proliferation. Karnataka Rajyotsava Extension Lecture. Bangalore: Institute for Social and Economic Change. 26.11.93.
- On the correlations of mass and lifetimes of radionuclides and fundamental particles (with B V Sreekantan). Modern Physics Letters A. 10(9). pp 741-753.
- The Structure of Raga Music-Part I. Swara and Tala. Current Science. 68(9).10.5.95. pp 897-916.
- Scientific Philosophy with Reference to Buddhist Thought New Delhi: Tibet House; Cultural Centre of H. H. The Dalai Lama. pp 1-14.
- Particle Symmetries in r/M Ratios and the lifetime of proton (co-author with Anju Sharma) Modern Physics Letters A. 11(29). pp 2335-38.
- Duality of Masses and Lifetimes in Quantum Systems. International Journal of Modern Physics A, 11(28). pp 5081-92.
- Science and Spirituality: Convergence and Divergence in Sri Sadvidya Sanjivini Samskritha Maha Patashala Centenary Celebration Souvenir. Sringeri: Jagadguru Sri Shankaracharya Dakshinamnaya Sri Sharada Peetham. pp 212-224.