BRICS STI Vision and BRICS STI Work Plan 2015-2018
India's interest to be tabled at the 5th BRICS STI SOM-cum-3rd BRICS STI Ministerial Meeting at Moscow Oct.27-28,2015 and got included in the Moscow Declaration & BRICS STI WorkPlan 2015-2018 is summarized in a bulletted form:
BRICS Multilateral Research Projects in Thematic Leadership Areas
- BRICS STI Ministers must indicate the budgetary allocation annually for supporting BRICS Research & Technology Development projects in the BRICS Thematic Leadership Topics on Oct.28,2015 (to the tune of upto 2 M $ contributed annually by each nation)
- BRICS RTD Projects in Thematic Leadership Areas should be launched in 2016 .
BRICS STI cooperation MoU dt.March 18,2015 provides the institutional basis for undertaking this step forward.
- BRICS STI Funding Working Group be set up and define Standard Operating Procedure for Call for Proposal
- 2016 BRICS Multilateral Research Project Funding Call for Proposals published, with funds allocated by three or more interested BRICS STI Coordinating Ministries from BRICS countries.
- 2016 BRICS Multilateral Call be developed on Climate Risk Management & Multi-hazard Resilient Development Planning.
BRICS Young Scientist Forum (BRICS-YSF) Initiative Implementation
- BRICS leaders, at VII BRICS Summit at Ufa,July 9, 2015, noted with interest and for the potential of this initiative being coordinated by India.
- 2015-2016 BRICS - YSF Regional Scientific Activity Calendar is under implementation.
- India acknowledges with thanks the contributions,support and momentum received from BRICS STI Coordinating Ministries (and also BRICS Youth Affairs Coordinating Ministries).
- BRICS Youth Summit( Moscow,Kazan in Russia ,July 1-7,2015) took on board ideas of 250 youth delegates (50 fielded by India) and 2015 BRICS Youth Action Plan has a section of BRICS Scientific & Technical Cooperation, Youth Entrepreneurship.
- BRICS Young Scientist Conclave (Bangalore, India, 2016) would build BRICS Young STI Alumni Association , BRICS Innovators Corps as possible deliverables.- Flyer circulated, India seeks support for publicizing this event and nomination of young STI delegates
- BRICS-YSF Website-with interactive online platform would be set up by Brazil with database profiling creative young scientists,techno-entrepreneurs,Start-up owners and those engaged in science popularization amongst other features.
- China's proposal for short-term attachments of young BRICS young scientists,engineering and tech-entrepreneurs with Chines Technology Clusters-Incubators is awaited
- South Africa is to announce the South African Academy of Young Scientist Meeting to be opened for participation of BRICS scientists.
- India welcomes BRICS STI Ministers willingness to extend support and their commitment for establishment of BRICS-YSF Secretariat in India (coordinated by BRICS STI Coordinating Ministry-DST,India) as a step forward in raising BRICS Identity and Brand and building BRICS Young Scientist Mobility Program across priority areas identified in the BRICS STI Cooperation MoU.
BRICS Thematic Leadership Initiatives (India led)-Existing & New Addition
- Meeting of BRICS Working Group on Geospatial Technology and Applications for Development will be hosted in India (March 2,2016 at Noida, Uttar Pradesh) on margins of International Convention Geo Smart India,2016 . BRICS Multilateral R&D projects proposals are anticipated from this BRICS Working Group Meeting . Flyer circulated, India seeks support for publicizing this event and nominations from other BRICS countries.
- BRICS Thematic Leadership in Nanotechnology is suggested by India for inclusion in BRICS STI Work Plan 2015-2018 This frontier area of research offers enormous applications in health,energy,water etc in our region besides gaining BRICS identity in global research landscape in terms of new knowledge and innovative products.India would be happy to coordinate this Thematic Leadership Area.
BRICS Thematic Leadership Initiative on Biomedicine & Health Russia & Brazil led (India interest)
- India would like to collaborate within BRICS on technologies and processes that make tele-medicine as effective healthcare service and joint research on antimicrobial resistance and ensuring safety and quality,if available medicines are a challenge.
- India has developed a national bio-design program addressing innovative solutions in areas of diagnostics,devices and treatment and in this direction it would be pleased to collaborate with the region of BRICS.
- For BRICS Life Sciences Exchange Program ,with scientist to scientist exchange, Department of Biotechnology will be committed to initiate action from Indian side.
BRICS Research & Innovation Networking Platform Russia led (India interest)
- India supports establishment of such a platform. It should facilitates internalizing and institutionalizing innovative capacities to stimulate and accelerate viable,robust,durable,functional,affordable products for societal needs and economic growth.
- BRICS network of mentors be created through this Platform to support Indian techno-entrepreneurs,knowledge based start-ups,MSME clusters will give boost to our Government's initiatives such as Skill India, Digital India, Start-up India, Make in India
- BRICS Innovation Corps be created through this Platform to produce affordable and scaleable products, sustainable alternatives to cope up with resources scarcity.
- BRICS Open Source Collaborating Community Network will reinforce India's action wherein innovations are inclusive,frugal,satisfying local needs with global quality benchmark.
- Crowdsourcing ideas and funding for creative science and technology led entrepreneurial talent needs to be added to the scope of this Platform
BRICS Collaboration in Research Infrastructures & Megasciences Russia led(India interest)
- India welcomes BRICS Research Infrastructure Network Initiative.
- BRICS countries could identify existing major research facilities and infrastructure for mutual access .Such efforts are already part of BRICS Thematic Leadership in Astronomy being led by South Africa.
BRICS STI WorkPlan 2015-2018 ( India)
- BRICS Thematic Leadership Program in Nanotechnology (coordinated by India)
- Establishment of BRICS-YSF Secretariat in India (coordinated by BRICS STI Coordinating Ministry-DST,India) with support and commitment from all BRICS countries in raising BRICS Identity and Brand as well as building BRICS Young Scientist Mobility Program across priority areas identified in the BRICS STI Cooperation MoU.
- BRICS Project on Technology Forecasting for Climate Systems
- Meeting of BRICS Working Group on Geospatial Technology and Applications for Development will be hosted in India (March 2,2016 at Noida, Uttar Pradesh)
- BRICS Young Scientist Conclave (Bangalore,India, 2016)
2016 BRICS Multilateral Call be developed on Climate Risk Management & Multi-hazard Resilient
- Development Planning.
- BRICS Life Sciences Exchange Program ,with scientist to scientist exchange,
Extending invitation by Hon'ble Minister for S,T&ES Dr.Harsh Vardhan for participation in the 6th BRICS STI SOM-cum-4th BRICS STI Ministerial Meeting to be hosted by India during October 2016.